Simple Ways To Infuse Nature In Your Workspace
Most of us have very busy lives. We go from home – to the office or our chosen place of work – to carpooling our kids – to activities. Our lives are busy, busy, busy. We rush, rush, rush through each task we have to check off on our daily “To Do List” ever reaching for the end of the day when we can relax, regroup and recover from the hectic pace to yet fortify ourselves for another day in the rat race of life. This creates one big vicious cycle of commotion if you ask me. It is no wonder that we hurry, hurry, hurry wherever we go. If we stop and smell the roses along the way we get off task. We are a silly bunch of humanity aren’t we?
My daughter Sammi and “God’s Littlest Angel”, Ansley were visiting us recently. On Saturday Sammi and I raked leaves while my David cut the grass and Ansley played with her toys on a blanket in the fresh air. Sammi hadn’t seen David cutting the grass in a long time and mentioned to me that he actually seemed to be enjoying it. He was slow and methodical. I told her that he used the time to think about life and mull over anything that popped in his head. She said, “You mean he isn’t just rushing to get it done?”
This got me to thinking – thinking is something I regularly fixate on doing by the way, as I tend to over think everything. Anyway, I started thinking about how my David enjoys E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. He enjoys yard work, housework and work at the office. I know why, too. David lives in the moment.
Not many of us have this gift of being able to live in the moment. Most of us have to learn how to do it. One absolutely, positively sure-fire way to help you learn to live in the moment is to get back to Nature on a daily basis. Immersing yourself in nature every single day makes you want to smell the roses if you will. You see there is healing found in Nature that is restorative and rejuvenating to the body, mind and spirit. Spending time in nature is soothing, refreshing and inspiring and has the ability to clear our minds, providing a new and positive outlook on life.
Simply by infusing bits of nature in our workspace can give us this same soothing, refreshing and inspiring outlook on our work life. Basic tools for thriving in the workplace I say.
Whether your workspace is in the form of an office cubicle, the corner office or a large spacious environment like my last office in Charlotte, NC here are some easy ways to bring nature into your space:
- Bring live plants into your space. Preferably use ones that are air purifiers such as the ones in Becky Balzer’s recent post, Top Twelve Best Indoor Plants For Purifying The Air. Follow Becky’s guidelines for the number of plants per square footage of your space for the best results. One other simple plant to use is Lucky Bamboo- place it in a unique glass container filled with water and enjoy.
- View the outdoors as often as possible. If you are fortunate enough to have a window in your space, position your desk to view the outdoors as often as you can. If you don’t have ready access to a window, find other ways to look outside throughout the day. Don’t ever go a full workday without seeing what is going on outside if at all possible.
- View scenes of nature on your computer. Make the screen saver on your computer nature friendly with pictures of nature on it. Change the picture seasonally or even use pictures of your favorite season for inspiration such as a warm beach scene to ward off the cold winter blues.
- Personalize your space with found things from nature. This could be as simple as placing interesting rocks found on nature walks on your desk. Visual cues such as found things from nature instantly connect you with the outdoors.
- Display family photographs that have background settings in nature. There is no better combination for feel good vibes than family photographs in outdoor settings. This combination of family and nature is the ultimate visual cue that can make you feel a sense of deep connection to life without even realizing it.
- Get a breath of fresh air. If possible go outside at some time during the workday. Take a short walk or at least enjoy the outdoors for a few minutes. Breathe in the fresh air. Even better, if possible open up the windows in your space to allow fresh air to circulate and revitalize your space.
Take the time to treat your workspace as a place to be honored. By doing this you will connect more harmoniously with it and allow yourself to thrive each and every day. All you need to do is make your workspace come alive with nature! Without realizing it you will begin to feel better and begin to enjoy every moment of your day!
Enjoy your space, enjoy your work and don’t forget to live in the moment…