I turn 55 in just a few days. I share the day with my dear twin brother, Craig. So, I don’t turn 55, We turn 55. (Although I am 55 minutes older and wiser than Craig!) You see, I never think of it as my birthday. I think of it as our birthday. Any of you readers that are a twin, you know what I mean.
Anyway, I thought turning 21, 30, 40 and then 50 would be the most memorable birthdays for me. Certainly, to this day I remember specifics of each of those milestones. But, absolutely positively this birthday is gonna be the Mack-Daddy. I can feel it brewing already.
Why you ask?
It is simple.
Once I flew only while no one was looking. Now I soar all the time.
In other words, I have learned to be me… Embracing the good, the bad and yeah, the ugly. How freeing. How exhilarating.
So, since it’s my party I will celebrate because I want to! (Remind you of a 1960’s song though different words?!?)
And, what better way than to share with others a few of my favorite things! Originally, I planned to list 55 things. You know, one thing for each year. My David chuckled over this and said no one would last through the whole article, not even him! So, instead I am listing 5/5 or five faves in five categories I want to share. I hope you enjoy!
My Top Five Products
- My Cutco Knives
- My Kayak
- My Dyson Vacuum
- My Apple Ipad
- My Trek Cruiser Classic
My Top Five Kitchen Must Have’s
- My Pampered Chef Garlic Press
- My Aprons
- My Iron Skillet
- My Bamboo Pot Scrubber from Crate and Barrel
- My Ceramic Spoonrest
My Top Five Gifts I Have Received
- My Faith.
- My family, with the newest addition being “Little Bits”.
- The chance to be with my Dad as he neared death and to witness him seeing “The other side across the bridge” he described to me as he saw departed family beckon for him to cross over.
- My David, who has given such unconditional love that I have had the room to spread my wings and fly – and then, soar!
- My necklace that David gave me to commemorate Benjamin’s upcoming wedding.
My Top Five Tips For Creating Homespace Beauty
- Less is more.
- Color means everything.
- Decorate and design with a sense of studied indifference.
- Make all your senses come alive in your Home Décor.
- Your Homespace begins at the street or door to your space.
My Top Five Quotes For Inspiration
- “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1
- “Two roads diverged, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference” Robert Frost
- “Live the life you love. Love the life you live.” Bob Marley
- “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” Jimi Hendrix
- “With every challenging situation we experience, we can choose to be a ‘Victim’ or become a ‘Victor.’ The choice is ours to make.” Jamie Balzer’s Mantra
In sharing these favorite things of mine, I hope you take the time to reflect on your favorites as well. Share them with someone you love. It reminds me of one other quote I live, “It is in the giving that we receive the most”. Pay it forward to someone and share yours!
Today might not be your birthday but, you have cause to celebrate regardless. Every day is worth celebrating. Seize the opportunity!
Enjoy the moment, enjoy the day and enjoy life!
Oh, and here’s to you Craig! I love you!